AMBULANCE DESIGN CRITERIA
Indexed design and performance criteria for ambulances, developed by the National Academy of Engineering at the request of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, are presented. Part I of the report provides historical and technical background, and describes the need for standardization of ambulance design and performance. The purpose and scope of the study are discussed in terms of vehicles, vehicle elements, and vehicle characteristics. From the specific criteria detailed in Part II of the report, several recommendations selected for their special significance, are highlighted. These relate to the design of the patient compartment; standardization of ambulance manufacture; principal environmental requirements for medical care; communications requirements; national standardization of external identification; omission of windows in the patient compartment to enhance privacy and efficiency; adequate acceleration capability; and application of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards appropriate for the kind of chassis employed. Vehicle characteristics for which standards could not be recommended due to lack of adequate objective data include: color and intensity of identification lights; riding quality and stability; noise and vibration; and vehicle braking system. A bibliography and a brief description of applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards are appended.
- Available from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402, $.80.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1973-1
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Emergency vehicles; Health care; Medical equipment; Medical personnel; Performance based specifications; Quality of work; Specifications; Vehicle characteristics; Vehicle performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Health care technology; Health occupations
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00143695
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 17 1977 12:00AM