A COST-EFFECTIVENESS ANALYSIS OF JUNK VEHICLE ABATEMENT PROGRAMS
This study first presents a conceptual framework which both provides a theoretical economic explanation for the abandonment and dereliction of motor vehicles and permits an evaluation of a wide variety of public policies which have been proposed to reduce the incidence of these phenomena. Next, it develops a set of criteria for the selection of junk vehicle abatement programs for field surveying and employs these criteria to choose ten programs for detailed analysis. Finally, the study evaluates the relative effectiveness of these ten programs using the methodology derived in the conceptual framework. These evaluations demonstrate that the average cost of processing a vehicle in any of these programs is not unreasonably high and, consequently, that the development of junk vehicle abatement programs similar to the programs which have been evaluated in this study is potentially capable of producing an increase in economic efficiency.
- Prepared by CONSAD Research Corp., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Ammann and Whitney96 Morton Street
New York, NY United States 10014
CONSAD Research Corporation121 North Highland Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA United States 15206
- Rueter, F H
- Bernstein, A D
- McCartney, D M
- Vira, C M
- Publication Date: 1975-10-31
- Pagination: 553 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Aesthetics; Automobiles; Cost effectiveness; Decision making; Federal government; Financing; Freight traffic; Land use; Legislation; Local government; Management; Materials recovery (Mining); Measures of effectiveness; Metal industry; Motor vehicles; Planning; Policy; Pollution control; Public policy; Regulations; Scrap metal; Solid waste disposal; State government
- Uncontrolled Terms: Abatement; Criteria; Effectiveness
- Old TRIS Terms: Abandoned cars; Government policies; Junk; Management planning; Materials recovery; Metal scrap
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Society;
- Accession Number: 00143666
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MVMA-CON-74-12 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 2003 12:00AM