Crude washing is the process of washing the tanks of crude carriers during cargo discharge, using the cargo as the washing fluid. This report summarizes tests conducted to determine the effectiveness of crude washing. It concludes that crude washing is a viable technique for reducing operational pollution in normal ballast handling and sludge removal operations.
- See also COM-75-11428.
Exxon International IncorporatedTanker Department
New York, NY USA 10019
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Powell, W J
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: 143 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast tanks; Cleaning; Crude oil; Flushing; Performance evaluations; Performance tests; Petroleum industry; Petroleum refining; Pollution control; Storage tanks; Tankers; Tanks (Containers); Washing; Water pollution
- Uncontrolled Terms: Petroleum trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Crude washing; Rinsing; Tank cleaning; Tanker pollution prevention; Tanker ships
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00143348
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EII.12TMR.76 Final Rpt., MA/RD-940-76056
- Contract Numbers: C-5-38000
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 17 1976 12:00AM