SAMPLING AND ANALYSIS OF SELECTED TOXIC SUBSTANCES. TASK IV - ETHYLENE DIBROMIDE
Sites representing six categories of potential sources of EDB emission were sampled. The categories are: (1) gasoline mixing, storage, and transfer (refineries); (2) retail gasoline; (3) highly trafficked urban; (4) suburban residential (lightly trafficked); (5) rural; and (6) fumigation centers. Air samples collected near four different bulk loading stations had EDB levels at least twice that of background samples. The effect of heavily trafficked freeways on the EDB levels in two different cities was not discernible. However, EDB was detected in all samples taken in heavily trafficked urban areas. The ubiquitous nature of EDB is probably the result of the widely dispersed sources of emission in urban/industrial areas. The levels of EDB in air ranged from 0.05 to 0.10 microgram/cum in rural and suburban areas, and from 0.1 to 0.4 microgram/cum in metropolitan areas. Two fumigation centers where EDB was used to fumigate grapefruit were found to be significant sources of emission.
- See also report dated Apr 76, PB-252 966.
Midwest Research Institute425 Volker Boulevard
Kansas City, MO United States 64110-2299
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Toxic Substances
Washington, DC United States 20460
- Going, J E
- Spigarelli, J L
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 170 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Analysis; Chemical analysis; Combustion; Concentration (Chemistry); Dust; Ethylenes; Exhaust gases; Fumigation; Gasoline; Halogenated compounds; Industrial wastes; Location; Monitoring; Motor vehicle industry; Organic compounds; Pollutants; Rural areas; Samples; Sampling; Soil chemistry; Toxicity; Toxicology; Urban areas; Vehicles; Velocity; Water; Water pollution; Wind
- Uncontrolled Terms: Building sites; Sources
- Old TRIS Terms: Bromine organic compounds; Combustion products; Emission rates; Halogen organic compounds; Soil analysis; Wind velocity
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00143346
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/560/6-76/021 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-2646
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1977 12:00AM