IMPLEMENTATION OF PROVEN TECHNOLOGY IN MAKING THE HIGHWAY ENVIRONMENT SAFE
Modern highway design technology has resulted in the creation of many treatments to make highways safer and more efficient. The objective of this study was to identify factors limiting the application of known technology for making highways safer, and to develop strategies for achieving greater application. This project included four primary tasks. First, a thorough search of the literature was conducted in the area of highway design to form a candidate list of programs. The second task was the creation of a priority ranking of cost-effective programs, based on an economic analysis of accepted programs from the literature review. The third task was concerned with a determination of problems that present road blocks to information dissemination and program implementation in the area of highway design. Inputs to this task came from the literature review and from interviews with many persons with expertise in the highway safety field. In the fourth task, a comprehensive list of problem areas was developed, and proposed strategies formulated to overcome these problems.
University of North Carolina, Chapel HillHighway Safety Research Center
Chapel Hill, NC United States 27599
Motor Vehicles Manufacturers Association320 New Center Building
Detroit, MI United States 48202
- Council, F M
- Hunter, W W
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 260 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost effectiveness; Design; Economic analysis; Evaluation; Highway design; Highway planning; Highway safety; Information dissemination; Prevention; Project management; Research; Reviews; Safety; Street lighting; Technology; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Projects
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Design; Economics; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00143327
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MVMA-UNC-74-16 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1977 12:00AM