LATERAL SUPPORT SYSTEMS AND UNDERPINNING. VOLUME II. DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS
This report provides current information and design guidelines on cut-and-cover tunneling for practicing engineers. The main emphasis is on the geotechnical aspects of engineering. Included in this volume is a state-of-the-art summary of displacements and lateral pressure. Other topics are basic concepts of soil mechanics, ground water in open cut, passive resistance, design aspects of lateral earth pressure, stability analysis of sheeted excavations, bearing capacity of deep foundations, and construction monitoring. Detailed explanations of design methods and literature citations are included. Other reports prepared as part of the study are FHWA-RD-75-128, Volume I, Design and Construction; FHWA-RD-75-130, Volume 3, Construction Methods; and FHWA-RD-75-131, Concepts for Improved Lateral Support Systems.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Also available in set of 3 reports as PB-257209-SET. PC$29.50/MF$4.75.
Goldberg-Zoino & Associates, Inc.30 Tower Road
Newton Upper Falls, MA United States 02164
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Goldberg, D T
- Jaworski, W E
- Gordon, D
- Publication Date: 1976-4-1
- Pagination: 252 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Bracing; Construction; Design; Dislocation (Geology); Earth pressure; Excavation and tunneling; Groundwater; Lateral supports; Stability analysis; Structural supports; Underground structures; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral pressure; Underpinning
- Old TRIS Terms: Supports; Underground supporting
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00143271
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75-129 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8499
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 3 1977 12:00AM