TRANSIT SAFETY AND SECURITY: A DESIGN FRAMEWORK
The study is an analysis of transit crime data for the Southern California region. It examines safety and security deficiencies in transit design and recommends ways in which they can be ameliorated. The study contains the following: (1) development of security and safety objectives in the operation of major transit systems, (2) assessment of crime patterns and safety problems for selected regional transit corridors, (3) examination of the effectiveness of crime prevention by physical design of transit facilities, and (4) development of a reference document for safety and security design criteria in transit facilities. Some specific design areas examined include the following: park-and-ride facilities, parking structures; site planning and landscaping; illumination levels; passenger boarding safety; subway and elevated systems; station visibility; closure and monitoring; traffic and parking criteria; and the special needs of the elderly and handicapped.
- Sponsored in part by Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C., and California State Dept. of Transportation, Sacramento.
Southern California Association of GovernmentsCriminal Justic Planning Department
Los Angeles, CA United States 90005
Washington, DC United States 20590
California Department of Transportation1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA United States 95814
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 170 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Crimes; Criminology; Design; Highway safety; Law; Law enforcement; Laws; Lighting; Park and ride; Parking; Parking facilities; Passenger security; Passenger terminals; Persons with disabilities; Prevention; Rail transit stations; Railroad bridges; Rapid transit; Regional transportation; Safety; Security; Subways; Transportation; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criminal investigation; Criminal law; Transportation systems
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Public law
- Subject Areas: Design; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00143214
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 26 1981 12:00AM