HANDLING TEST PROCEDURES FOR PASSENGER CARS PULLING TRAILERS. VOLUME I - SUMMARY REPORT
The report summarizes the development and validation of handling test procedures for car/trailer (articulated) vehicle combinations. Some 20 different limit and sub-limit maneuvers are investigated. Four pragmatic test procedures are selected and defined which enable discrimination of handling characteristics on the basis of quantitative performance parameters. The test maneuvers (step steer, pulse steer, brake-in-straight-line, and brake-in-turn) are representative of realistic sub-limit and emergency driving situations. The maneuvers and performance parameters are demonstrated to be applicable to a broad range of car/trailer combinations and hitch loading configuration; pertinent to both transient and steady-state dynamic properties, reasonable in cost, and practicable and applicable in diverse geographical regions of the United States or foreign countries. Tentative criteria for safe versus unsafe performance are suggested.
- See also Volume 2, PB-256 072.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA United States 90250
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Johnston, D E
- Zellner, J W
- Ashkenas, I L
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Braking; Dynamic loads; Maneuverability; Passenger vehicles; Performance tests; Safety; Stability (Mechanics); Steering; Traffic safety; Trailers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Articulated vehicles; Dynamic response
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00143196
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: STI-TR-1052-1-Vol-1 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-801-935
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00900
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM