TERRESTRIAL RADIODETERMINATION POTENTIAL USERS AND THEIR REQUIREMENTS
The report summarizes information gathered during a preliminary study of the application of electronic techniques to geographical position determination on land and on inland waterways. Systems incorporating such techniques have been called terrestrial radiodetermination (TRD) systems. Their most common application has been to locate and track a large number of vehicles in real time. These and other potential uses and requirements are identified and discussed. The final portions of this report describe the design and operation of a number of TRD and TRD-related systems that have been or soon will be deployed for demonstration. Most of these systems are associated with the computer-aided dispatching and monitoring of either municipal police car or bus fleets. The benefits and limitations of these systems, as determined by their users, are presented for consideration.
- Sponsored in part by Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Systems Development and Technology.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Office of Systems Development and TechnologyDepartment of Transportation, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Cantor, S
- Farr, E
- Kodis, R
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic tracking; Dispatching; Electromagnetic waves; Ground vehicles; Highway traffic control; Information processing; Inland waterways; Location; Monitoring; Position fixing; Radio equipment; Real time control; Ship pilotage; Tracking systems; Utilization; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Monitors; Tracking
- Old TRIS Terms: Position finding; Real time operation; Surface navigation; Tracking position
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00143188
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TJC-OST-76-7 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1977 12:00AM