TEST AND EVALUATION OF THE BEACON PROCESSING SUBSYSTEM OF THE AUTOMATED RADAR TERMINAL SYSTEM (ARTS III) ALL-DIGITAL TRACKING LEVEL SYSTEM
The report describes the test and evaluation conducted to determine the performance of the beacon processing subsystem (BPS) of the Automated Radar Terminal System (ARTS III) all-digital tracking level system. A test bed was established to perform an evaluation of the level-one ARTS III system in fiscal year 1973. This included development of statistical reduction programs to provide summary data defining system performance. The level-one beacon ARTS III report (FAA-RD-73-182) contains the results and conclusions of that study from which a baseline standard of performance has been established. The test bed and reduction program interface were modified to accommodate the improved beacon data acquisition subsystem (BDAS). Technical tests were conducted using special test equipment to determine the characteristics of the improved BDAS and improved software. These tests included wide pulse detection, garble detection, code validation, processor loading, probability of detection, false alarm rates, and defruiter performance.
- See also report dated Jan 74, AD-773 711.
National Aviation Facilities Experimental CenterFederal Aviation Administration
Atlantic City, NJ United States 08405
- Holtz, M
- Schoenthal, M
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 295 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control facilities; Automation; Data collection; Data communications; Digital computers; False alarms (Security); Information processing; Radar beacons; Signal processing; Terminal air traffic control; Tracking systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Tracking
- Old TRIS Terms: Air traffic control terminal; Automated radar terminal system 3; Digital systems; False alarms
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00143179
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-75-98 Final Rpt., FAA-NA-75-46
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 26 1978 12:00AM