TECHNICAL AND MICROECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF ARSENIC AND ITS COMPOUNDS
The role of arsenic (and its compounds) in the environment and in the economy of the United States was studied, to evaluate the need for and the projected effect of controlling its production, use, dissipation, and emission. The occurrence, chemistry, and toxicology were reviewed; the prevalence of arsenic as an impurity in commercial raw materials, processes, and products was systematically documented; the intentional commercial flow of arsenical products was quantified; the sources of pollution were identified and characterized; and the health hazards were evaluated. The intertional production and use of arsenic and its compounds is greatly exceeded by the quantities unintentionally mobilized by industrial activities. The arsenic currently in food and water presents no identifiable health hazard, and the present controls on arsenical products, by a number of Government agencies, appear adequate. Emissions to the air form high-temperature processes are large, particulate collection devices appear largely inadequate, and the dangers presented are of serious concern.
- See also report dated Mar 75, PB-244 625.
Versar Incorporated6850 Varsar Center
Springfield, VA USA 22151
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Toxic Substances
Washington, DC USA 20460
- Burruss, RPJ
- Sargent, D H
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 242 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Air quality management; Analysis; Chemical analysis; Chemical compounds; Chemical industry; Chemicals; Demand; Economic analysis; Environmental impacts; Food; Gas analysis; Hazards; Herbicides; Industrial wastes; Industries; Iron; Market surveys; Metal industry; Particles; Pesticides; Pollution; Public health; Raw materials; Regulation; Soil chemistry; Solid waste disposal; Toxicology; Water; Water pollution; Water quality management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Arsenic
- Old TRIS Terms: Government intervention; Soil analysis; Toxicological tests
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00143144
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 454-2, Task 2 Final Rpt., EPA/560/6-76/016
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-2926
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1977 12:00AM