MACROANALYSIS OF THE IMPLICATIONS OF MAJOR MODAL SHIFTS IN INTEGRATED REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION NETWORKS. PHASE I
The report describes a macroanalytic approach to the problem of analyzing changing travel patterns in an integrated regionwide transportation network. Separate models of residential areas, transportation corridors, and central business districts are combined in a modular representation of urban structure suitable for use in policy analysis and transportation planning. This analytic approach treats demand parametrically, has minimal data requirements, and provides rapid insights into the impacts of alternative patterns of transit and automobile usage. Such impacts as travel time, user costs, congestion, and energy consumption are examined explicitly. Application examples discuss the potential economies of scale available from major shifts in current transit usage patterns, tradeoffs between flexible-route and fixed-route systems, and the potential benefits available from policies to reduce the effects of demand peaking.
- See also PB-254923 and PB-256137.
SYSTAN, Incorporated343 Second Street, P.O. Box U
Los Altos, CA United States 94022
Department of TransportationOffice of Research and Development, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Billheimer, J W
- Bullemer, R
- Holoszyc, M
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 225 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; Cost estimating; Costs; Energy consumption; Estimates; Forecasting; Highway traffic; Mathematical models; Modal diversion; Mode choice; Passengers; Policy; Public transit; Regional planning; Regional transportation; Scheduling; Suburbs; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management; Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Central city; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00143047
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Systan-D147 Final Rpt., DOT/TST-76-65
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50265
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 6 1981 12:00AM