POLYMER PAVEMENT CONCRETE FOR ARIZONA STUDY II
The most important result of this investigation is the development of the addition of urea-formaldehyde combinations in the form of a monomer system to the mixing water of portland cement mortars and concretes. Although the addition of this system to concretes produced only negligible strength increases, experimental data indicated that several combinations of the same system with mortars produced compressive strength increases of 1500 to 2500 psi. It is not clear at this time why the urea-formaldehyde monomer system is effective in mortars and ineffective in concretes. Further investigation is needed to improve the effectiveness of this monomer system in concretes, too. The application of such a monomer system is advantageous from economical standpoint because this is the least expensive form of the urea-formaldehyde combinations, and because the technology of such monomer systems in mortars and concretes is simple. Several other directions were also investigated, such as the optimization of the basic urea-formaldehyde prepolymers, acidic urea-formaldehyde prepolymers, and several other chemical systems and commercially available polymers. Some of these systems did produce strength increases but these were not high enough.
Northern Arizona University, FlagstaffDepartment of Civil Engineering, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering
P.O., Box 15600
Flagstaff, AZ United States 86011
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Popovics, S
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Composite materials; Compressive strength; Concrete pavements; Formaldehyde; Monomers; Mortar; Performance evaluations; Polymer concrete; Polymers; Portland cement; Portland cement concrete; Resins; Urea
- Geographic Terms: Arizona
- Old TRIS Terms: Mortars material
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00143021
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/AZ/RD-74(154) Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM