MODIFICATION OF PILE CAPACITY AND LENGTH PREDICTION EQUATIONS BASED ON HISTORICAL ALABAMA PILE TEST DATA
Pile capacity predictions by dynamic formulas, wave equation analyses, and soil mechanics methods are compared with actual failure test results from Alabama and surrounding southeastern states. The purposes of the comparisons are to determine the relative accuracy of the equations and to modify them to improve these accuracies. Effects of pile type, hammer type, and soil setting on the dynamic formulas are included. A computerized solution of the pile wave equation is investigated for accuracy nd sensitivity to soil parameters. Recommended values of the program parameters are determined for Alabama soil conditions and the program employed to predict the capacity of a number of Alabama piles. These predicted capacities are compared with actual failure loads. Soil mechanics methods of pile capacity prediction are evaluated to fit the available pile failure data. Use of the soil mechanics approach to estimate pile length requirements is also demonstrated. Other methods of estimating pile length requirements are investigated and evaluated.
- Prepared by Auburn Univ., Ala. Engineering Experiment Station.
Alabama State Highway Department11 South Union Street
Montgomery, AL United States 36130
Auburn UniversityEngineering Experiment Station
Auburn, AL United States 36849
- Ramey, G E
- Hudgins, A P
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 391 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Bearing piles; Computer programs; Highways; Length; Pile driving; Piles (Supports); Regression analysis; Soil mechanics; Structural tests; Wave equations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pile length
- Geographic Terms: Alabama
- Old TRIS Terms: Pile bearing capacities; Pile tests; Wave equation formula
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00143019
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: HPR-75 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM