DIVERSION OF INTERCITY TRAFFIC AT A SINGLE POINT. FINAL DESIGN REPORT
The Final Design Report describes the basic software and equipment approach recommended for the design of the Single Point Diversion System (SPD System). The features which make this system unique are the unusual diversion function which the system must perform and the system must perform research functions as well as traffic operations functions. The SPD System was designed to direct the southbound through motorists to the better route around the Baltimore area and provide information by means of variable message signs at the bifurcation of I-95 and I-695 north of Baltimore. The sign messages are to change as a result of automatic detector surveillance information from both routes. This Final Design Report describes the traffic problem, the implications of the data obtained under this program and from other sources, and the simulation effort. It defines five preliminary candidate control strategies and describes eight measures of effectiveness. (See also "Software Specification, Diversion of Intercity Traffic at a Single Point," February 1974). A plan for fixed and changeable message signing is presented along with a series of candidate messages. The system design layout includes detector placement, detection station sites and Central Office locations. The physical placement of detectors is described and ninety-four detection stations involving approximately 200 detectors are sited. In addition, five potential central office locations are considered, the requirements for a dynamic map display and a control panel in the central office are identified, and the computer complex and police communications tie-in are described. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by DOT and FHWA.
Sperry Rand CorporationSperry Systems Management Division
Great Neck, NY United States 11020
- Publication Date: 1973-11
- Pagination: 204 p.
- TRT Terms: Computers; Highway operations; Intercity travel; Software; Traffic; Traffic diversion; Traffic simulation; Traffic surveillance; Variable message signs; Vehicle detectors
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00142864
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76- 96 Final Rpt., FCP 32C1-012
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8119
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 15 1988 12:00AM