APPROXIMATE METHOD FOR COMPUTING BACKWATER PROFILES IN CORRUGATED METAL PIPES
The determination of the shape and characteristics of a backwater profile in a closed conduit is generally a lengthy and tedious procedure without the use of a computer. Utilizating the charts and tables of this publication and a few simple calculations, it is possible to completely define an M2 profile in a circular structural plate corrugated metal pipe with 6 x 2 inch corrugations. The depth of flow, velocity head, and specific head may be determined at various points along the backwater curve, and the total length of the backwater curve may be defined. Use of the publication will also provide the user with a better understanding of the effects of flow parameter variations on the shape and extent of the backwater profile.
- Sponsored by DOT and FHWA.
Zelensky (Paul N)2129 N. Troy Street
Arlington, VA USA 22201
- Zelensky, P N
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Approximation (Mathematics); Backwaters; Conduits; Corrugated pipe; Depth; Flow; Metal pipe
- Old TRIS Terms: Closed conduits; Velocity head
- Subject Areas: Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology;
- Accession Number: 00142842
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76- 42 Final Rpt., FCP 35H3 102
- Contract Numbers: FHWA P.O 4-1-0175
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 15 1977 12:00AM