WIND TUNNEL TESTS OF A SCALE MODEL RAILROAD AUTOMOBILE RACK CAR
The document covers wind tunnel tests of scaled models of a representative automobile rack car. Various car configurations and arrangements were investigated to determine axial, normal, and side force coefficients for a single car with and without the interference effects of a leading, a trailing, and both a leading and a trailing car. Basic configurations were also tested through a range of sideslip angles. The interference effects from the leading and trailing cars caused notable differences between the coefficients for the one, two, and three car combinations of the configurations tested. (Author)
- Sponsored in part by Naval Ship Research and Development Center, Washington, D.C.
OFFICE OF HIGH SPEED GROUND TRANSPORTATIONWASHINGTON,
- MATTHEWS, J T
- BARNETT, W F
- Publication Date: 1968-6
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamics; Freight cars; Simulation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Modeling
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00039093
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 24 1973 12:00AM