CONTAINERISATION AND OTHER UNIT TRANSPORT
The author traces the functions of trade and transport, the growth of world commerce and the corresponding need to cut the costs of transportation. A description of how this was achieved in the bulk trade, using bigger ships and specialised terminals, serves as an introduction to the chapters on the evolution of pallets and containers. Individual elements of the container concept are discussed. Questions of air, sea and surface transport, manpower and documentation are considered and the economics of containerisation are studied in depth.
Hutchinson Benham Limited3 Fitzroy Square
- Vanlie, F
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 336 p.
- TRT Terms: Container traffic; Containers; Costs; Economic factors; Economics; Freight transportation; Intermodal transportation; Pallets; Ports; Ships; Trade; Transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Containerized freight; Palletized cargo
- ITRD Terms: 1020: Container (freight); 224: Cost; 263: Economics of transport; 1112: Freight transport; 1098: Port; 1060: Sleeper (railway); 330: Trade
- Subject Areas: Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00142504
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Dec 1 1976 12:00AM