TRANSIT RIDERSHIP AND DEFICITS: 1980 PROJECTIONS FOR NEW YORK STATE
This report develops alternative forecasts of transit ridership and deficits for 13 New York State transit operations, relating trends in usage to changes in fares, service levels, and auto registrations. It is prepared as part of NYSDOT's Section 9 Study, mandating an evaluation of the 1975-76 state Transit Operating Assistance program, and is basically an extension of similar forecasts made in 1974, assuming various fare and service policies. Forecasts are made and compared for several different assumptions about fares, service, and auto registration trends. Results show that (1) 1980 deficits will be in the range of $1.2 billion under all fare policies studied; (2) higher fares will significantly reduce ridership without materially improving the deficit picture.
Albany, NY United States 12232
- Cohen, G S
- Howe, S M
- KNIGHTON, R G
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Deficits; Fares; Forecasting; Level of service; Motor vehicles; Ownership; Ridership
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00142201
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Prelim. Res. Rpt. 92
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1981 12:00AM