INTERMODAL SAFETY RESEARCH NEEDS. REPORTS OF THE SIXTH WORKSHOP ON NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS
This conference brought together DOT policymakers, university principal investigaters and other professionals to consider the intermodal safety research requirements of the Department of Transportation. The objectives of the conference were: To highlight safety problems and needed transportation safety research identified by DOT modal safety managers and to stimulate university or university/industry teams to respond with research proposals which emphasize multi-modal applicability and a system view. To provide a forum for university research groups to inform DOT safety managers of promising new directions in transportation safety research and new tools with which to address safety related problems. The conference addressed the research requirements for safety as identified by the Statement of National Transportation Policy and by the modal safety managers in three principal contexts, each a workshop panel: I - Inter-Institutional Problems of Transportation Safety. Problems were described as: Federal-State, local; Federal-Industry; Federal-Public, Consumer Groups. II - Goal Setting and Planning for Transportation Safety Programs. Issues were: modifying risk behavior, safety as a social value, and involving citizens in development of standards as a way of increasing probability of achieving program objectives. III - DOT Information, Management, and Evaluation Systems Requirements. Needs were: data requirements and analytic tools for management of safety programs.
- This conference, held April 28-29 1976, was sponsored jointly by the Offices of University Research (TST-60) and Safety Affairs (TES-10), Office of the Secretary, DOT.
Office of the Secretary of TransportationUniversity Research Office, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Warshawer, A J
- Publication Date: 1976-4-28
- Features: Appendices; Photos;
- Pagination: 195 p.
- TRT Terms: Intermodal transportation; Multimodal transportation; Needs assessment; Research; Safety; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation policy; Transportation safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Safety practices; Transportation research
- Subject Areas: Research; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00142041
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-76-77 Proceeding
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM