GUIDE FOR TEACHER PREPARATION IN DRIVER EDUCATION: DRIVING SCHOOL EDITION
As a step toward improvement in driving instruction, HumRRO, under National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Contract No. FH-11- 7602, has developed this Guide for Teacher Preparation in Driver Education, which provides operators of driving schools with a body of information and procedures that will enable them to develop programs capable of meeting the particular needs of their students, and capable of being administered within the resources available to them. This Guide does not attempt to prescribe one specific instructional program. A single program would not provide the flexibility required to cope with varying situations; nor could a single program accommodate the changes in needs and resoruces that are constantly occurring in the worlds of transportation and education. Part I discusses the characteristics of the highway transportation system, their relationship to accident causation, and the programs that exist to improve the effectiveness of the system. Part II deals with the components of the instructional system: (1) the system itself and its objectives; (2) the professional driving instructor; (3) curriculum development; and (4) curriculum administration. Part III offers a guide for instruction is some 60 driving tasks, suggesting procedures and skills to be acquired for each task, learning problems to be anticipated, and hazards and laws involved. Suggested instructional aids and resoruce materials are also included.
- Project is sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C. Document available from GPO, order No. SN 050-003-00220-8.
Human Resources Research Organization International, Incorporated66 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 400
Alexandria, VA United States 22314
- Meknight, A J
- Hundt, A G
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 458 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash causes; Curricula; Driver training; Driving instructors; Guides to information; Highway transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Guides
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00142035
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7602
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM