AN ANALYSIS OF ASAP PATROL ACTIVITY: 1975. FINAL REPORT
DWI data are presented and analyzed for ASAP and regular patrol duty for 1972 through 1975, the first four ASAP program operating years. In addition, DWI offender profile comparisons are made, based on two samples, the complete 1975 Automated Court Tracking System (ACTS) Files, and the latest roadside survey. Indicators of police performance are discussed and estimates developed, primarily for ASAP patrol duty because of availability of information. Finally, effects of ASAP patrols are highlighted, especially on the incidence of alcohol-related crashes in Fairfax County in 1975. Profile data on the DWI offender during 1975 confirm that the majority are male and under 40 (about half are under 30). As many as one-half may have incurred one or more traffic offenses in the ten-year period preceding the DWI arrest, but have virtually no significant prior (ten-year) record of alcohol-related offenses; yet half were found with high BAC's (greater than 0.15). Finally, the impact of ASAP operations on the crash trends indicates that during the high drinking and driving hours (8 pm-4 am), the rate of increase in single and multivehicle injury crashes in Fairfax County in 1975 was only one-third that of the non-ASAP control area, Henrico County, for both total and alcohol-related accidents.
- This study was sponsored by Alcohol Safety Action Project, Fairfax. Va.
Center for the Environment and Man, Incorporated275 Windsor Street
Hartford, CT USA 06120
- Sweeton, E R
- Costenoble, K C
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Blood alcohol levels; Drunk driving; Injuries; Laws and legislation; Police patrol; Surveys; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Statute of limitations
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00141989
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Analyt. Study No. 3, CEM Report 4104-553
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 4 1977 12:00AM