DEVELOPMENT OF WARRANTS FOR LEFT-TURN PHASING
Warrants for the installation of left-turn phasing were developed. A review of literature was conducted along with a survey of the policies of other states. Field data of delays and conflicts were taken before and after installation of exclusive left-turn signalization. Left- turn delay studies were conducted at intersections with varying volume conditions. Analysis of the effect on accidents of adding a left-turn phase were made. The relationship between left-turn accidents and conflicts was investigated. Other types of analysis concerning gap acceptance, computer simulation, capacity, and benefit-cost ratios were also performed. It was found that exclusive left-turn phasing significantly reduced left-turn acciddents and conflicts. Left-turn delay was only reduced during periods of heavy traffic flow. Warrants were developed dealing with the following four general areas: 1. accident experience, 2. delay, 3. volumes, and 4. traffic conflicts.
- Record URL:
Frankfort, KY United States 40601
- Agent, K R
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Gap acceptance; Left turns; Simulation; Traffic conflicts; Traffic delays; Traffic volume; Warrants (Traffic control devices)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00141847
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Research Rpt 456, Interim Report
- Contract Numbers: KYP-75-70
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 2002 12:00AM