TECHNICAL CONTENT OF STAFF AND COMMUNITY POLICE TRAFFIC SERVICES PROGRAMS
A survey was conducted of 101 police agencies with traffic responsibilities, in an effort to identify minimum standards for police traffic safety performance. The chapters review qualitative literature, assess the content and reliability of data obtained from police agencies, and discuss the development of standards. Additional material deals with a recommended training and education program for police officers with traffic responsibilities, and 'presents a discussion of methodology that can be used to estimate the cost of incremental levels of police traffic service.' Based on the material collected and analyzed in this study, no 'optimal or desirable level of traffic law enforcement or standards for police performance' can be recommended. Appended material contains a police traffic services survey form, and a court survey form, and includes a discussion of survey planning, as well as a lengthy bibliography. /Author/
- Sponsored by the Department of Transportation.
Travelers Research Center, Inc,
- Fennessey, E
- Barkenstein, R
- Publication Date: 1968
- Pagination: 505 p.
- TRT Terms: Police powers; Police traffic direction; Traffic law enforcement; Traffic safety
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00141740
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Criminal Justice Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: FH-11-6604
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 4 1977 12:00AM