RECOMMENDATIONS FOR QUALIFICATIONS OF ENGINEERING PERSONNEL OF NUCLEAR POWERED SHIPS
The report presents summary recommendations, based on task analysis, concerning training and other qualification requirements appropriate for personnel to serve on future new commercial nuclear ships. Training content and type (classroom, shoreside practical/simulation, onboard) are recommended for 12 personnel functional areas. The study described in this report is seen as an initial step in the process of developing marine nuclear personnel requirements. Pertinent existing standards and legal requirements are taken into account in the recommendations; however, the need for regulatory guidelines specific to the Merchant Marine environment is identified. The task data presented offer a basis for specific training curriculum development once the regulatory guidelines are defined. In addition to the task data and summary recommendations, the report is a compendium of reference materials including description of the design proposals for new nuclear commercial ships; discussion of nuclear hazards; description of existing standards and legal requirements; and summaries of nuclear personnel requirements for the utilities, the U. S. Navy, and on the prototype NS SAVANNAH.
- See "Handbook for the Development of Qualifications for Personnel in New Technology Systems" (ORI, Feb 1976). The nuclear power qualifications study was one of two methodology demonstration projects. The other reported in "Recommended Qualifications of Liquefied Natural Gas Cargo Personnel (ORI, June 1976).
Operations Research, Incorporated1400 Spring Street
Silver Spring, MD USA 20910
General Physics Corp.Columbia, MD USA
- Hall, P
- Lewis, R
- Roth, D
- Paramore, B
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Nuclear engineering; Nuclear power plants; Nuclear reactors; Operations; Safety; Ship crews; Training; Training programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Crew training (Engine); Licensed personnel training; Nuclear reactor operation; Nuclear reactor safety
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00141655
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Coast Guard
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-76-76 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-41, 903-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1976 12:00AM