A SUMMARY REPORT OF MAJOR STUDIES UNDER THE PROGRAM "HIGH- SPEED HYDROFOIL STRUTS AND FOILS"
A three-year program was undertaken to determine the feasibility of developing a strut-foil system for high-speed operation that would also perform satisfactorily at takeoff and moderate speeds. Following identification of possible risk areas and design problems, the major objectives and approaches were established. The evaluation included determination of representative hydrodynamic loads and a series of model tests in the areas of hydrodynamic efficiency, cavity stability, side force and ventilation envelop, and strut flutter.
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD USA 20084
- Wermter, R
- Shen, Y T
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: High speed craft; Hydrofoil boats; Hydrofoils
- Old TRIS Terms: Cavitating hydrofoils; Hydrofoil craft
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00141624
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DTNSRDC-4779
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1976 12:00AM