DEVELOPMENT OF THE RO-RO CONCEPT
The Author reviews the history of ro-ro operations on both deep and short sea routes and then focuses on the North Sea experience of his company, Tor Line Ltd. Recent developments are discussed including the third generation Tor Gothia type of freight only vessel and the LUF cargo-handling system. A comparison is made between container operations and ro-ro services detailing the advantages of the latter in North Sea service. The paper concludes with a discussion of the prospects for ro-ro traffic both on European routes and in areas traditionally dominated by the container ship. An Appendix gives cost comparisons of lo-lo, ro-ro and LUF operations based on an economic model of a two-shift berth.
- Presented at Session on "Ro-Ro Systems for Container and Unitised Handling" at Cargo Systems Conference, London, November 19-20, 1975.
Cargo Systems InternationalArun House, 201-205 High Street
New Malden KT3 4BH, Surrey, England
- Olszowski, A
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: 13 p.
- CARGO SYSTEMS INTERNATIONAL
- Publisher: Deutsche Bahn AG
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Cargo handling; Containers; Costs; Economic analysis; Operations; Roll on roll off ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Container operations
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00170760
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM