SQUARING UP FOR SPEED
A description is given of the LUF (lift Unit Frame) cargo-handling system manufactured by Salen and Wicander Terminal system AB, Gothenburg, Sweden. When loading in a Ro/Ro operation, two drivers per single shift can each use a LUF machine to handle 40-50 20-ft ISO containers per hour. The containers are loaded in groups of four on LUF frames direct from incoming vehicles. No checking or lashing is required on board. Increased handling speed is also claimed for cellular containership handling in Lo/Lo operation. Loading and discharging is carried out with two or three container cranes working simultaneously, while horizontal transport is by one LUF machine per crane, each holding up to six containers. It is essential that enough cargo should arrive in boxes to justify the use of LUF machines. Some LUF applications are illustrated. Order from: BSRA as No. 46,773.
IPC Industrial Press LimitedDorset House, Stamford Street
London SE1 9LU, England
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 3 p.
- Materials Handling News
- Publisher: IPC Industrial Press Limited
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling; Cargo handling equipment; Containers; Cranes; Lifting equipment
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00170552
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 235
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM