GUIDELINES FOR UNIFORMITY IN TRAFFIC CONTROL SIGNAL DESIGN CONFIGURATIONS
The results are reported of a study which prepared guidelines for optimum signal design configurations and midblock crossing locations. The study included the preparation of a bibliography, a questionnaire survey to determine current signal design practices, analysis of accident data for 668 signalized approaches, development of a model of interference with motorist line of sight, speed studies on approaches to 38 signalized intersections, field experiment to compare relative visibility and legibility of various signals, human factors affecting traffic signal design, and an anlaytical investigation of the optical aspects of traffic control signals. Some of the more significant findings are listed. The research resulted in recommendations for changes in the current MUTCD for which suggested textural revisions were prepared. In addition, a new chapter on location of traffic signal heads was prepared for the Traffic Control Devices Handbook.
- Record URL:
- An NCHRP Staff digest of the essential findings from the final report on NCHRP Project 3-23 "Guidelines for Uniformity in Traffic Control Signal Design Configurations," by G.F. King, KLD Associates, Huntington, New York. Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- King, G F
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 97
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Approach lanes; Bibliographies; Design; Human factors; Intersections; Legibility; Manuals; Obstructions (Navigation); Optics; Railroad grade crossings; Signalized intersections; Standardization; Studies; Traffic signals; Traffic speed
- Old TRIS Terms: Intersection approach; Sight obstructions; Speed studies
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00170404
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Jul 19 1978 12:00AM