WILL ELECTRICITY POWER TOMORROW'S TRAINS?
The electric locomotive offers long term cost and performance advantages despite the high initial cost of converting from diesel power. Amtrak is going ahead with an electrification program in the Northeast Corridor and Conrail is considering several other projects. Rising fuel oil costs plus predicted continued inflation may spur an even stronger move to electric.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00249114
Penton Publishing CompanyPenton Building, 1111 Chester Avenue
Cleveland, OH USA 44113
- Aronson, R B
- Publication Date: 1977-4-7
- Pagination: 5 p.
- Machine Design
- Volume: 49
- Issue Number: 8
- Publisher: Penton Media, Incorporated
- ISSN: 0024-9114
- TRT Terms: Electric locomotives; Electric railroads; Fuels; Inflation; Railroad electrification; Supply
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak; Conrail
- Geographic Terms: Northeast Corridor; Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Fuel shortage; Locomotives (Electric)
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00169993
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM