QUALITY CRITERIA FOR MAINTENANCE AND REINFORCEMENT OF PAVEMENTS IN THE NETHERLANDS
An adequate policy of spending the available (and decreasing) funds for roads necessitates the development and application of objective criteria for maintenance and reconstruction. These objective criteria mainly deal with surface characteristics (road safety and riding comfort), bearing capacity (strength) and durability of the pavement, and traffic safety. This paper deals with the quality criteria on surface characteristics and the conditions of the pavement as a bearing layer. In the Netherlands such criteria are ever more systematically applied in judging priorities and taking decisions on maintenance and strengthening of pavements. These criteria have been developed on the basis of a vast number of results of measurements and research on the national road system, carried out by the State Road Laboratory, especially during the last 25 years. An explanation is given of the methods of measurement, the interpretation of results of testing and visual inspection of roads and of the way they are used in developing and applying a complete and adequate system of rational pavement management in practice.
- Digital Copy:
- Summary URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/03611981
- A paper prepared for presentation at the International Symposium on Assuring Quality Construction in Transportation Systems.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- ELSENAAR, PMW
- Van de Fliert, C
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- Transportation Research Record
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0361-1981
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Durability; Fraud; Parts; Pavement maintenance; Pavements; Quality control; Reconstruction; Reinforcement (Engineering); Riding qualities; Safety factors; Thermostats; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Quality
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00165524
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Jan 13 2000 12:00AM