POSSIBILITIES OF OPTIMSING THE DRIVE FOR HYDRAULIC STEERING-GEAR
For a given rudder installation, there is considerable variation in the power chosen by different steering-gear manufactureres for the electric motors providing the drive for the hydraulic steering-gear. This would appear to be due to there being no generally valid and accepted method of power calcualtion that takes into account both the effective rubbed-stock torque and the kinematic conditions; manufacturers rely more or less on their experience. The Authors therefore present some methods for the accurate calculation of the optimum motor-power for these installations. The proposed methods show that a reduction in the power normally provided should be possible, but the safety aspect of the matter will require tests to be made under practical conditions before a calculation method is ready for use.
VEB AutobahnbaukombinatTemplinestrasse 19
- Ogrzewalla, U
- Toppe, H E
- Publication Date: 1977-2
- Pagination: 2 p.
- Volume: 9
- TRT Terms: Hydraulic equipment; Motors; Steering; Steering gears
- Old TRIS Terms: Hydraulic steering
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00165279
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 23 1977 12:00AM