DESIGN-ANALYSIS METHOD FOR THE FRONTAL-CRUSH STRENGTH OF BODY STRUCTURES
A technique was generated for constructing the model for the frontal-crush strength analysis of body structures directly from design drawings. The analysis is based on the principles of limit analysis. The computation scheme consists of repeated stepwise analysis for each incremental load and repeated searches for a collapse mechanism which requires the least load (collapse load). The modeling process and the analysis method were validated using crush test data on two production body structures, resulting in good correlation.
- Presented at 2nd International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, Southfield, Michigan, April 18-20, 1977.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Chang, D C
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: p. 33-41
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Automotive engineering; Collapse; Crash injury research; Crashes; Design; Frontal crashes; Kinematics; Research; Strength of materials; Structural analysis; Traffic crashes; Ultimate load design
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00165131
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 770593
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 27 1977 12:00AM