PARATRANSIT PLANNING FOR URBAN ACTIVITY CENTERS (ABRIDGMENT)
An experimental questionnaires-based planning program was developed to comprehensively address the transit and paratransit needs of employee commuters working in the major employment centers of Seattle. The study area chosen was a downtown hospital service node in Seattle. The experiment had three objectives: To develop detailed information about work related transportation needs and interests of individual employes. Attempt the operational application of survey information in planning improved transit service, employer shift and parking management, city controlled neighborhood parking and access, and the development of paratransit alternatives. And, to develop and enroll hospital employees in operational paratransit programs. Data analysis suggests that the survey questionnaire was effective and the responses provided insight into a relatively extensive, latent market for transit and paratransit development. The planning appear for service development was only marginally feasible because those agencies operating existing transit services were limited in their ability to immediately participate in paratransit planning. A publicly financed survey planning approach that leads towards specialized transit and paratransit services was found to be an economical alternative.
- Digital Copy:
- Summary URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0309025982
- Publication of this paper sponsored by Committee on Urban Transport Service Innovations (Paratransit).
- Barb Jr, Charles E
- Publication Date: 1967
- Media Type: Print
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: pp 19-21
- Monograph Title: Innovations in Transportation System Planning
- Transportation Research Record
- Issue Number: 619
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0361-1981
- TRT Terms: Commuters; Data analysis; Employment; Mathematical analysis; Paratransit services; Parking; Questionnaires; Transportation planning; Urban areas
- Subject Areas: Highways; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00163927
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0309025982
- Report/Paper Numbers: Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Oct 13 1981 12:00AM