THE EFFECT OF TRACK GEOMETRY ON RIDE QUALITY
In this test, acceleration measurements were taken with one lateral and one vertical accelerometer attached to the floor of the test car. The sensitivity of ride roughness to changes in crosslevel during the negotiation of a curve is shown. Also shown is the change in ride response due to bolted to welded rail transition. The track geometry measurements used in this investigation were: centerline profile, the average profile of both rails; alignment; gauge; rate of change of gauge; and warp. The track and ride data were then sorted according to speed. The data for the 100-110 mph tests are plotted on scatter diagrams. Correlation coefficients were then computed for each of the six track exception densitites and the density of the sum of all exceptions with vertical, lateral, and mean lateral/vertical ride. The results are shown. Though sample populations are small, data correlation is sufficiently reasonable to lend support to the approach.
- Paper recommended by IEEE Land Transport Committee of the IEEE Industry and General Applications Group for presentation at the joint IEEE/ASME Railroad Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY USA 10016-5997
- Ullman, K B
- O'sullivan, W B
- Publication Date: 1969-4-15
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Cross sections; Curved track; Defects; Deformation; Equipment tests; Field tests; High speed rail; Maintenance of way; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Railroad trains; Ride quality; Statistical analysis; Structural design; Technology; Velocity; Welded rail
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track geometry
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Cross level; Rail deformation; Test equipment; Track irregularities
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00037693
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: 69CP355-IEA Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 5 1976 12:00AM