RESEARCH PROBLEM STATEMENTS. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES GROUP
Research problem statements are presented which were identified and developed by 38 committees of the Design and Construction Group (II) of the Transportation Research Board. The statements are rated in 2 priority categories and other miscellaneous statements. The statements which received top priority include those related to the optimum design and use of highway shoulders, dropping freeway lanes, pavement distress and pavement performance, the distribution of wheel loads on highway bridges, and the deflection limitations for bridge structures. Reducing dependence on moisture control on hot mix plant operations, tender mixes, and abrasive resistance, surface durability, and skid resistance of concrete pavements also received priority. Akali-reactive silicones and silicate rocks, contingency cost in construction, expansion joints, nuclear density determination, lime and lime-fly ash stabilization load tests in pile groups, freez-thaw environments, and low volume roads were among further problem areas which received attention. Statements reveiving priority by committees include several which range from the design and operation of passing zones, calibration methods for road roughness meters, paint systems for repainting old structural steel and coating new steel, and the evaluation of geophysical methods. Each statement describes the problem, the objectives of the study, current activities in the area, and the degree of urgency associated with it.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- This circular supplements Circular 160 dated November 1974 in which 81 priority research needs were identified by 17 of the Group's committees.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 44 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 179
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Development; Highways; Research; Strategic planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research;
- Accession Number: 00163596
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Sep 28 1977 12:00AM