HIGHWAY NOISE. A DESIGN GUIDE FOR PREDICTION AND CONTROL
A description of motor vehicle noise sources and the potential for their control is provided. The report presents an overview of the suggested noise prediction methodology, which is a four step process that includes approximating noise impacts using a nomograph procedure to determine noise levels associated with given traffic and site characteristics; refining these predictions by more accurate representation of design parameters and use of a computer program that is able to plot as well as calculate noise impact; introducing appropriate noise-control options and evaluate them, using a noise barrier nomograph solution; lastly, selected options are fully evaluated using the computer program. A comprehensive review of noise control measures, including not only barriers but also other alternatives, such as grade separation, decks, and right-of-way modifications. Procedures for measuring background noise levels, an evaluation of an environmental impact assessment procedure, and a user's manual describing and listing the computer programs for predicting and plotting highway noise levels are also included.
- Digital Copy:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00775614
- Sponsored by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials in Cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Kugler, B A
- Comins, D E
- Galloway, W J
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- NCHRP Report
- Issue Number: 174
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0077-5614
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Environmental impacts; Forecasting; Grade separations; Impact studies; Manuals; Motor vehicles; Noise barriers; Noise control; Nomographs; Sound level; Traffic noise
- Uncontrolled Terms: Right of way
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Environment; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00163055
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM