PORT DEVELOPMENT PLANNING IN THE NEW YORK METROPOLITAN AREA
This paper reviews the current status of port development planning in the New York Metropolitan Area, with particular emphasis on the work underway to assure that the Port of New York can complete effectively with other major ports in the nation. The paper discusses trends in larger vessels, particularly containerships and supertankers, and the changing channel and terminal facility requirements developing therefrom. The status of the U.S. Coast Guard program for establishing a Harbor Vessel Traffic Service is reviewed. The paper also reviews the potential in the bi-State Port of New York for significant waterfront redevelopment, including a number of environmental considerations, as related particularly to coastal zone requirements. The paper also stresses the intermodal aspects of port activities, including ongoing plans for improved truck and rail access to serve port facilities, and the continuing need to develop fully competitive rail freight service in the Port. Finally, the economic importance of port activity is stressed in terms of jobs, payroll, industrial development potential and the like.
- Proceedings of Second Internatioal Waterborne Transportation Conference, October 5-7, 1977, New York City. Available April, 1978, approximately 750 pages. Cost: to ASCE members $15.00; non-members $30.00.
New York, NY United States 10017-2398
- Olcott, E S
- Publication Date: 1977
- TRT Terms: Coastal zone management; Development; Economic analysis; Environmental impact analysis; Intermodal terminals; Intermodal transportation; Marine terminals; Marine transit; Port operations; Port structures; Ports; Transportation planning; Water traffic; Waterfronts
- Geographic Terms: New York (State)
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Ports); Terminal facilities
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation; Policy; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00170799
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Civil Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM