PASSENGER FERRY TERMINALS ON SAN FRANCISCO BAY
Three new passenger ferryboats are plying the waters of San Francisco Bay to provide high-speed commuter service between San Francisco and the north bay communities in Marin County. In addition, two new passenger ferry terminals have been developed and supplement an existing facility. This program by the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District was requested by the California State legislature to provide an integrated transit system in the Golden Gate Corridor to supplement the Golden Gate Bridge. The Larkspur Ferry Terminal Project in Central Marin County, consisted of dredging a two-mile navigation channel, construction of pile supported structures and vessel docking facilities, erection of an 18,000 square foot terminal space frame, and development of a 1,000 capacity parking lot. The San Francisco Ferry Terminal Project is presently under construction for downtown San Francisco, located adjacent to the historic Ferry Building, thus returning a portion of this structure to its original use. The District's third terminal facility is located in Sausalito in southern Marin County. Both new terminals are designed and constructed in conformance with regional environmental and conservation regulations, as well as for seismic and public safety provisions. As a mitigating measure for dredging the Larkspur navigation channel, various environmental and water quality agencies required that land disposal operations be utilized for portions of the spoils. In addition, a five-year marsh restoration program is underway to restore 125 acres of previously diked land to a tidal marsh condition.
- Proceedings of Second International Waterborne Transportation Conference, October 5-7, 1977, New York City. Available April, 1978, approximately 750 pages. Cost: to ASCE members $15.00; non-members $30.00. Also available from Engineering Societies Library.
New York, NY USA 10017-2398
- Rexrode, G P
- Publication Date: 1977
- TRT Terms: Ferries; Intermodal terminals; Marine transit; Passenger ships; Passenger terminals; Passenger transportation; Structural design
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger vessels; Terminal design; Terminal facilities
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00170795
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Civil Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM