DEVELOPMENT OF PRODUCT TANKERS IN WORLD TRADE
The paper outlines the development of the sophisticated product tanker and its operation. With the development of new, source-located refining capacity the product tanker will become increasingly important in world trade balancing short falls and surpluses in product availability as well as the primary distribtuion role. The modern product tanker is equipped to handle both "dirty" and "clean" cargoes on demand. The more complex units are also able to handle many different mixes of product at one time. The older product carriers are relatively simple vessels of the 5,000 to 20,000 DWT size range and are of considerable age, at least 25% of the fleet being over 20 years old. Newly built product tankers, now operating, are in the 20,000 to 50,000 DWT size range. More stringent oil pollution and safety regulations and more vigorous enforcement of these regulations will make obsolete an even larger proportion of the product tankers and the developments in world trade. The paper deals with sufficient technical details of the construction and operation of specially coated tankers now trading in the world market, to make these aspects understood. The paper also briefly describes some current thinking on the prospects for development of other designs of tankers for product transportation.
- Proceedings of Second International Waterborne Transportation Conference, October 5-7, 1977, New York City. Available April, 1978, approximately 750 pages. Cost: to ASCE members $15.00; non-members $30.00.
New York, NY USA 10017-2398
- Joplin, A F
- Publication Date: 1977
- TRT Terms: Marine transit; Pollution; Pollution control; Regulation; Regulations; Safety; Ship operations; Shipbuilding; Tankers; Trade; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Product tankers; Tanker construction; Tanker operations; Trade development; World tanker fleet
- Subject Areas: Design; Law; Marine Transportation; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00170788
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Civil Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM