THE HONGKONG & YAUMATI FERRY OPERATIONS IN HONG KONG
The Company has a network of ferry routes to cover practically all urban and suburban areas within reach from the sea. The fleet is comprised of 89 vehicular and passenger ferries, and carried a total of 135 million passengers and 3.5 million vehicles in 1976. The Topics covered include the Types of Ferry Vessels: (1) Double Ended Ferries, these include ferries with double vehicular deck, passenger spaces above vehicular deck and passengers on both decks. (2) Conventional Single Ended Ferry Vessels with carrying capacities ranging from 500 to 1400 passengers. Air-conditioned passenger deck spaces and cruising at 15 knots. (3) Fibre glass mini-ferries on developing or feeder routes. (4) Sidewall hoverferries with air-conditioned passenger spaces for 92 persons and cruising at 30 knots. Types of Propulsion System: (1) Conventional single or twin screw propulsion. (2) Voith Schneider Propulsion. (3) Surface effect ship with fixed sidewall, air cushion and marine screw propulsion. Integrated Water Transport System: This includes the design study of high density passenger and vehicular ferries and shore support facilities to form an efficient, economic co-hensive transport system and how to Increase Ferry Utilization: (1) Methods to improve service frequency with existing hardware. (2) Cross utilization of different types of ferry vessels to meet fluctuation in weekly or seasonal demand. (3) New ferry construction with built-in maintenance free or low maintenance features to reduce down time. (4) Standardization of machinery components wherever possible to effect unit change-over, spare parts availability, service and operation familiarity, etc.
- Proceedings of Second International Waterborne Transportation Conference, October 5-7, 1977, New York City. Available April, 1978, approximately 750 pages, Cost: to ASCE members $15.00; non-members $30.00.
New York, NY USA 10017-2398
- Young, ECK
- Publication Date: 1977
- TRT Terms: Ferries; Marine transit; Passenger ships; Passenger transportation; Ship operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger vessels
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00170274
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Civil Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM