WATERBORNE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM IN HAWAII
Because of its importance, the State of Hawaii is actively promoting the expansion of waterborne transportation and has recently completed studies for an inter-island car ferry system and for high-speed commuter service in metropolitan Honolulu. Large monohull vessels, similar to those on the Alaskan Marine Highway, and new technology stable semi-submerged platform (SSP) vessels were evaluated for the car ferry service. Conventional displacement vessels, hydrofoils and hovercraft were evaluated for the intra-island commuter service. The car ferry studies found that an SSP system would be more feasible, operationally and financially, than a large monohull system. As a result, the State intends to further evaluate the SSP by designing a prototype vessel and by possibly implementing a pilot demonstration program. The studies for intra-island commuter service evaluated alternatives to supplement land-based transit systems in Honolulu. Environmental studies have been completed and steps are currently being taken to implement this service using hovercraft on an initial 13-mile route between Hawaii Kai and downtown Honolulu. These studies have illustrated that problems and opportunities associated with the existing waterborne systems in Hawaii would also apply to the proposed new systems. In particular, while improvements in technology would minimize the environmental problems of waterborne transportation, they would have to be achieved with minimum increases in cost to maintain economic and political feasibility. It is suggested that this requirement for waterborne transportation in Hawaii is one of the more important considerations in the implementation of new systems elsewhere.
- Proceedings of Second International Waterborne Transportation Conference, October 5-7, 1977, New York City. Available April, 1978, approximately 750 pages, Cost: to ASCE members $15.00; non-members $30.00.
New York, NY USA 10017-2398
- Bergelin, V J
- Publication Date: 1977
- TRT Terms: Air cushion vehicles; Costs; Economic analysis; Ferries; Hydrofoil boats; Marine transit; Passenger ships; Passenger transportation; Transportation; Water transportation; Waterways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Waterway transportation); Hydrofoil craft; Passenger vessels; Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00170269
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Civil Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM