WATERBORNE ACCESS TO GATEWAY NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
This paper discusses the various alternatives for waterborne transportation access to Gateway National Recreation Area. It includes a listing of goals and objectives for such waterborne service. The various types of vessels applicable to this type of service are discussed, including operational arrangements, vessel types, speeds, and passenger capacities. New technology vessels are included in the discussion. Various origin and destination docking facilities are analyzed. Criteria utilized in the analysis of origins include land transportation access, proximity to residential concentrations, other-use potentials, minimization of adverse community impacts, technical feasibility, and adequate channel depths. For destinations, factors considered include proximity to Gateway activity centers, technical and jurisdictional feasibility, and compatibility with National Park Service Gateway development plans. Scenarios for service are discussed and analyzed, using combinations of origins and destinations and vessel types. Speeds comparable to land modes and passenger-delivery capabilities are included. A brief description of the 1976 Gateway Bicentennial Waterborne Program is included with an outline of the information gained from the program. A review matrix of all origin and destination sites is included, providing graphic presentation of analysis in the text. The paper concludes with a summary of two-phase recommendations for waterborne service to Gateway: the first phase implementable with existing docking facilities and vessels, the second phase requiring some docking facility construction/upgrading and purchase of new vessels.
- Proceedings of Second International Waterborne Transportation Conference, October 5-7, 1977, New York City. Available April, 1978, approximately 750 pages, Cost: to ASCE members $15.00; non-members $30.00.
New York, NY USA 10017-2398
- Baer, F S
- ZELEFSKY, H
- Publication Date: 1977
- TRT Terms: Docks; Marine transit; Origin and destination; Passenger ships; Passenger transportation; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Dock facilities; Passenger vessels; Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00170261
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Civil Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM