ON THE DESIGN OF NON-OPTIMAL PROPELLERS
A new method of modifying the circulation distribution is presented, based on a scheme of reducing the propeller loading near the hub and the tip by certain percentages. A design example is worked out using both the "Eckhardt-Morgan" design method and the induction factor method by "LERBS", together with the non-optimal circulation distribution. The results show clearly the favourable effect on the cavitation characteristics with a negligible loss in the propeller efficiency.
Helsinki University of Technology, FinlandShip Hydrodynamics Laboratory
- HONKANEN, M
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Cavitation (Mechanics); Cavitation erosion; Design methods; Mechanical loads; Propellers; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Propeller design; Propeller efficiency; Propeller loading
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00170730
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Research Institute of Norway
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 12
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM