ELECTRIFICATION STUDY OF BESSEMER AND LAKE ERIE RAILROAD MAIN LINE--CONNEAUT TO NORTH BESSEMER
This study covers a 140-mile railroad and would involve a 50-kv catenary installation over 190 track miles carrying 27 million gross tons annually. A hybrid locomotive consisting of an electric/diesel-electric combination would be used. Costs of the various subsystems are given, along with projected maintenance and operating costs of the proposed electric and current diesel-electric operation. Although return on investment is found to be minimal, impending ecological and fuel-supply problems lead to a proposal for pilot electrification.
Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad CompanyIndustrial Engineering Department
Pittsburgh, PA United States 15230
- Publication Date: 1975-2-18
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Catenaries (Railroads); Economic analysis; Electric power supply; Electric substations; Railroad electrification; Return on investment; Traffic density; Unit trains
- Identifier Terms: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00170574
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM