QUICK-RESPONSE URBAN TRAVEL ESTIMATION MANUAL TECHNIQUES AND TRNSFERABLE PARAMETERS
This Users Guide provides methods, transferable parameters, tables, nomographs, etc., for use with manual and computer techniques for urban travel estimation. A companion report, "Travel Estimation Procedures for Quick Response to Urban Policy Issues" was also prepared. The two documents are the results of an investigation of the ability of travel estimation procedures to provide information which can be used to respond quickly to urban policy issues. This document provides manual techniques and appropriate tables and graphs in the areas of: trip generation, trip distribution, mode choice, auto occupancy, time-of-day distribution, traffic assignment, capacity analysis and development density/highway spacing relationships. Application of the material to three scenarios (site impact, corridor analysis and density/highway spacing) is also included. There are numerous problem areas where application of the manual methods provided will prove advantageous as compared to the application of computer procedures. The transferable parameters allow quick response compared to the time required to collect local information, and may be used by computer methods as "default" values where more appropriate local information may not be available. The parameters are also used in the manual methods described. /Author/
- Prepared for Transportation Research Board, National Cooperative Highway Research Program. This work was sponsored by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration.
Comsis Corporation8737 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD United States 20910
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 604 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Estimating; Highway capacity; Manuals; Mode choice; Traffic assignment; Transportation planning; Travel; Travel demand; Trip distribution; Trip generation; Urban areas; Urban transportation; Vehicle occupancy
- Old TRIS Terms: Modal selection
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00170566
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NCHRP Project 8-12A Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1981 12:00AM