GROSS PANEL STRENGTH UNDER COMBINED LOADING
The existing methods of predicting the behavior and ultimate strength of ship gross panels were evaluated, examined and in some instances, further developed. The assumptions, approximations, and deficiencies in each method were identified with the objective of determining the range of validity of each. The methods were classified in five broad categoreis with respect to their theoretical bases. Comparisons and correlations were conducted between the results of the different methods when applied to identical gross panels under biaxial edge compression and lateral pressure. Based on the identification of the assumptions and approximations in each method, and on the conducted comparisons and correlations, some expressions and procedures were selected, discussed, and extended. Lack of adequate procedures in certain areas were pointed out particularly when the collapse loads and mechanisms involve coupling between several modes of failure, and a biaxial loading condition exists in combination with lateral pressure. In some instances no clear measure of the relative reliability of the different procedures can be ascertained and a firm evidence of the "exact" solution is not available. A two-phase test program was recommended with immediate objectives and final goals outlined. An extensive bibliography is appended to this report.
Mansour Engineering, Incorporated2150 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA USA 94704
- Mansour, A E
- Publication Date: 1977-12-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Biaxial stress; Buckling; Failure; Panels; Ship structural components; Strength of materials; Structural analysis
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Biaxial loading
- Old TRIS Terms: Combined loading; Panels (Structural); Strength analysis
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00170518
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-270 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00024-75-C-4015
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM