TEN YEAR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION REQUIREMENTS
The report assesses the urban public transportation need for the next ten years and the impact the level of public transportation investment in the United States may have on the nation's energy consumption. In addition, the Federal funding already committed and the remaining Federal funding needed over the remaining eight years of the ten-year period is also addressed. The costs estimates were broken down into capital and non-capital with capital further divided into fixed guideway, regular route bus and other types of transit. The report concluded that the total public transportation needs are estimated at $79.3 billion for all areas and types of public transportation in the country. Fixed guideway capital costs represent 38% of total estimated costs over the ten years. The annual average need for capital improvements was estimated at $3.8 billion, and the annual average for operating assistance increased 63% to $2.9 billion. Total federal funding requirements over the ten year period are estimated at $45.5 billion. It is noted that massive transit systems improvements will neither solve the energy shortage or have a major impact on vehicle miles travelled. Lastly, there is a critical need to identify funding sources at all levels of government and to provide funding on a assured basis to permit implementing agencies with adequate and sustained funding to meet these needs.
- Presented at AASHTO 63rd Annual Meeting, Atlantic City, New Jersey, October 31 to November 2, 1977.
Washington, DC USA 20001
- Peters, C E
- Publication Date: 1977-10-20
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Costs; Energy; Forecasting; Investments; Operating costs; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fund allocations
- Old TRIS Terms: Capitalized costs
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00170426
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1978 12:00AM