PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON TRANSPORTATION FOR AGRICULTURE AND RURAL AMERICA
The papers presented at the symposium were arranged in 6 major sessions and 4 keynote address sessions. The session on transportation of agricultural commodities for international trade found that published research in this area was limited and largely theoretical in nature. Papers in the session on the impacts of transportation regulation on agriculture dealt mostly with trucking. It was found that good trucking performance has resulted from the hauling of agricultural commodities which are exempt. The impacts of transportation regulation on agriculture was covered and it was suggested that the economies of size in trucking and quality and cost of trucking services provided by both exempt and regulated truckers, need to be researched. Extensive research on the relationships among people, commodity and service transport systems and the potential for rural development were lacking. Research papers in the session on the economies of freight transportation in low density rural areas, provided a full coverage of this area, from the measurement of the potential extent of the excess rail line capacity problem to the presentation of suggested methods on how capacity adjustment impacts may be estimated. Analyses of changes in the energy situation suggest an adverse income effect on rural people from increased fuel prices. The adequacy of research in transportation problems affecting agriculture and rural areas was also discussed.
- Proceedings of a Symposium held in New Orleans, Louisiana, November 15-17, 1977. The symposium was also sponsored by the State Agricultural Experiment Stations, the Farm Foundation, and the Upper Great Plains Institute.
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
Department of AgricultureCooperative State Research Services
Washington, DC USA 20250
- Gerald, J O
- Casavant, K L
- Tosterud, R J
- Brown, W F
- Publication Date: 1977-8-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 277 p.
- TRT Terms: Agriculture; Economic development; Economics; Exemption; Freight transportation; Impact studies; International trade; Perishables; Railroad transportation; Regulation; Research; Rural areas; Transportation; Trucks
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00170205
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-77-73 Proceeding
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM