A STUDY OF RAILROAD BALLAST ECONOMICS
This report presents the results of Phase V--Economic Evaluation of the Ballast and Foundation Materials Research Program. The present "State of the Art" in the ballast costing area is discussed. The individual ballast costs are quantified to the extent possible using the data base compiled from the literature review and from replies to a survey received from 70 U. S. and Canadian Railroads. A discussion of the differences in ballast performance is presented. An equation to compute the additional cost justified to place a ballast of superior stability is formulated. It has been possible to quantify many of the costs associated with ballasting procedures; however, due to the wide diversity in operating conditions, procedures, gang organization, financial conditions and climatic factors, these costs vary greatly from railroad to railroad since many railroads do not take into account all costs in their costing exercises. The cost derived in this study can be used as an input to a general model for ballast selection.
- Record URL:
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. by Illinois Univ. at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Civil Engineering. Report on Ballast and Foundation Materials Research Program.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL United States 61801-2352
Association of American Railroads Technical CenterResearch and Test Department, 3140 South Federal Street
Chicago, IL United States 60616
Federal Railroad AdministrationOffice of Research and Development, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hay, W W
- Baugher, R
- Reinschmidt, A J
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 100 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Analysis; Ballast (Railroads); Costs; Maintenance of way; Railroad tracks; Stiffness; Subgrade (Pavements)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Ballast cleaning; Ballast quality; Ballast stiffness
- Subject Areas: Finance; Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00170072
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-77/64 Techn Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30038
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM